Monday, September 8, 2014

German Pancake

While going through an old box of recipe cards at my parents' house, I stumbled upon a recipe for "German Pancakes". The handwriting belongs to neither of my parents, and it also didn't look like it matched up with my grandparents' handwriting (based on some of the cards I found that they had written). A quick glance at the recipe revealed a few things: it was super simple, had inexact measurements, and only made one large pancake. Based on the recipe, I inferred what I later confirmed: this was a hangover pancake.

What You Need:


  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup of flour, well rounded*
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of baking powder
  • "About" 2/3 cup of milk**


*Just use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop some flour. However much you end up with, that's how much you use.
**I don't remember how I came to realize this, but I'm fairly certain that this measurement is meant to be 2/3 of a coffee cup.

Step 1:

"Beat ingredients together until a thick creamy consistency. Do not overbeat!"

I'm quoting the recipe card here, but if you beat it until it's creamy, that's pretty much overbeating as far as pancake batter goes. I've made this a couple of times now, and the best result came from beating the ingredients until they were well mixed, but the batter was still slightly lumpy.


Step 2:

"Cook in a greased frying pan."

I used a small pan over medium-low heat. The batter is pretty runny, so you want to make sure to be careful when flipping it.
Pictured: 10 seconds prior to a huge mess.

The end result is a large, heavy, dense pancake that does indeed invoke feelings of Germany in the early 20th century; this is a pancake you fight your way through so that the world will be a better place afterwards. It doesn't taste bad or anything, just really, really heavy. I was sober when I ate it, but even after the first bite I knew that it would be perfect for soaking up the lingering mistakes of the night before.
I named it "The Panzer".



No comments:

Post a Comment