Thursday, September 4, 2014

Silky Moon Dust

As father to a young boy, I try to find things to make that a young boy might enjoy. That's how I came to successfully make fart slime and fail miserably at making silly putty. It was this impulse that led me to Silky Moon Dust, which was the title of the recipe I used and thus is what I'm sticking with. Silky Moon Dust is is a really fine, really soft powder mixture that can be molded.
I call this shape "fisted"

What You Need:


  • 2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons Mineral or Baby oil


Step 1

Mix them together. That's pretty much it. You can add a little more or less of either ingredient to get a consistency that mirrors what the surface of the moon looks like, I guess?
Sure, why not.

The result really is super soft and silky feeling, without being very oily. When molded, the shapes hold together fairly well, though they break apart with not much pressure. It is super messy. I made this stuff for my son and then immediately decided he couldn't have it, lest I end up having to vacuum nonstop. So this probably works best as something for a child to play with outside. Since it's just flour and oil, it's not toxic unless ingested in a quantity large enough that if you ever left your small child alone long enough to ingest that amount you really weren't a good parent to begin with and this is your comeuppance. It can be stored in any container capable of containing powder and oil.
Like this one, or literally any other container without holes in it.
Variation: I've seen an alternate recipe that calls for 4 parts cornstarch to 1 part vegetable oil to achieve the same effect, but have no personally tried it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment